West View of the Town of St. Helier, the Hill & Harbour, Jersey
Artist: Heriot, G.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of the town of St Helier, the capital of Jersey, the largest of the Channel Islands. The town takes its name from St. Helerius, a missionary born in Tongres, Belgium, sometime between 510 and 520 AD. He travelled to Jersey between 535 and 545 AD and lived as a hermit on an islet off the coast of the island. St Helier harbour, which can be seen in this picture, is the largest harbour on the island and was built in 1700. The town grew rapidly after this time and St Helier became an important trading centre. Falle, in his History if Jersey, published in 1734, describes the town thus,
“…both commodious and delightful, on the South-west it has the sea, with a full view of Elizabeth castle, and of the road for ships. All round on the North quarters it is fenced against cold blasts by hills rising up gradually into the Island. From the bottom of those hills to the Town lies a flat of meadows, watered by a clear stream, which after it has enriched them, enters the Town…’.