Great Poulteney Street, Bath
This view of Great Pulteney Street, seen through the gateway of Sydney Place, must have been very familiar to Jane Austen who lived at 4 Sydney Place with her family from 1801 until 1804. It comes from a series of engravings of Bath by John Claude Nattes.
The unusually wide and elegant street was named after the Earl of Bath, Sir William Pulteney, who ordered its construction. The designer of the classical facades lining the street was Thomas Baldwin, a talented local builder turned architect. He was involved in several of Bath’s notable buildings, including the Pump Room and the Sydney Hotel.