Ruins Of Faversham Abbey, W Stukeley, 1722
Shelfmark: Maps K Top 16.54.a
This view of Faversham Abbey was made by William Stukeley and engraved by Elisha Kirkall for publication in 1722. Stukely travelled England making drawings and notes of sites of antiquarian interest. He is particularly known for his records of the stone circles at Avebury.
Faversham Abbey was a Benedictine monastery, founded around 1147 by King Stephen and Queen Matilda, who were both buried there. The Abbey was flourishing in Chaucer’s day. By the time Henry VIII took possession of the Abbey on 8 July 1528, its income was £350 a year.