Pencil drawing of Beaminster Church tower, April 1814
Shelfmark: Add MS 36361
The tower of Beaminster Church is one of the finest in the West Country. It was raised in the 16th century in the Perpendicular Gothic style, the final phase in the building of the church that had begun in 1440.
John Buckler’s delicately detailed drawing of the tower was made on 7 April 1814. Buckler was a prolific recorder of churches, monastic ruins and houses across England and Wales. His watercolours of Wiltshire alone fill ten volumes.