Draughtsman: Stanley, William
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
In the top right hand corner of the drawing, a red cross marks Chipping Norton Church. This was a base used by the draughtsman for orientation purposes. In 1816, it became obligatory to record archaeological sites on the plans. Here ancient camps are marked at Farmington and near Charlton Abbots. The words "TP Gate" appear on several roads, notably at Wincombe towards the top, indicating a turnpike gate. The accurate and precise record these drawings provide of the road network sets them apart from earlier county maps.