Dartmoor Prison, Devon
Draughtsman: Hewitt, John
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Her Majesty's Prison at Dartmoor in Devon was built in 1802 for French captives. It appears at the top left of this drawing, alongside the words 'Prison of War'. The map is not conventionally orientated with north at the top. A turnpike road running from Moretonhampstead to Randlestown, coloured yellow, forms the upper boundary. The mileage from Moretonhampstead is noted along its route.
This map follows the military practice of showing stone and brick structures in red or brown, and those built from less permanent materials, such as wood, in black or sepia. Individual stones are drawn in brown ink at the numerous 'tor' (hill) sites in this section of Dartmoor Forest. Hamilton Beacon ('Hameldown Beacon') is a pinprick mark surrounded by a pencil circle on Hamilton Down ('Hamel Down'). This may have been used as an observation or triangulation station.