Part of Shropshire containing 126 square miles. Surveyed and Drawn by H. Stevens R. M. D. 1816''
Draughtsman: Stevens, Henry
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
This is the first map to conform fully to the 1816 Ordnance Survey Circular, which stated that every plan was to have an area title, survey and drawing date, and a note of its author's name and rank. The map shows a section of Offa's Dyke, the great earth bank running 176 miles along or near the English border from the North Wales coast south to Chepstow. Offa's Dyke is eight miles longer than Hadrian's Wall but, because it was not a stone construction, was never garrisoned. Its purpose was to mark rathen than defend the frontier.