Click here to skip to content



Medium: Pen and ink on paper

Date: 1808

Shelfmark: OSD 62

Item number: 7

Length: 42

Width: 30

Genre: Map

Map scale ratio: 2'' : 1 Mile ( 1: 31680)

Several orientation points used to plot the survey appear at the edges of this drawing. The draughtsman has recorded the precise layout of the fir plantations at Everly, a chalk pit on Bushton Down, and the Roman road from Bath to Malborough, which is at the top of the drawing. The Kennet and Avon Canal also features. Opened in 1810 to better exploit the resources of the Somerset Coalfields, the canal is contemporary with the survey of this drawing. Extending from Shepherds Shore, a thick grey line is marked 'The Wansdyke'. This is a linear defensive earthwork dating from the 5th century. The area is rich is archaeological sites: Casterely Camp on Black Heath is a large hillfort. The paper is watermarked JAMES WHATMAN TURKEY MILL KENT 1807.

Search within this collection

Elsewhere on our websites


Latest events - register free online