Abbotsbury Church f.77
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
This church, dedicated to St Nicholas, was built in the 14th and 15th centuries. When the Monastery of St Peter was dis-established in 1539, the Strangways family bought the lands of the monastery and Abbotsbury. In 1644, during the English Civil War, Colonel Strangways, an ardent Royalist, resisted an attack in this church from Parliamentary forces. Bullet holes in the pulpit give testimony to the military struggle that ensued.