Abbotsbury Dormitory, figure of an abbot
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
A steward of King Canute named Orc established a Benedictine monastery in Abbotsbury in the late 11th century and dedicated it to St Peter. Over the centuries the monastery and town grew in prosperity and power.
Before it was dissolved by King Henry VIII in 1539, the monastery was already suffering decline due to the sweeping devastation of the Black Death and frequent invasions by peoples from land and sea. The monastic buildings and the town itself were brought several years later by the Strangways family for £1906 10s.