Abbotsbury, from the camp
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink on paper
To the north-west of the village lies the Iron Age earthwork known as Abbotsbury Castle. This Celtic fortification lay the foundations for the development of the settlement below. Over the centuries, Abbotsbury and the surrounding area grew in importance and wealth. This was linked directly to the Monastery of St Peter being established here and the village being granted the status of market-town.
When Henry VIII brought about the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539, Abbotsbury fell into decline.
The Industrial Revolution of the 19th century brought some change in fortune for Abbotsbury, but when the railway closed through lack of profit, it again experienced a depression. In the latter part of the 20th century, the village was granted conservation status and is now a popular tourist attraction.