Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
This sketch shows the exterior of St Andrew's church in Aycliffe, Durham. The chancel was built between 1160 and 1180, with the nave and north aisle added a little afterwards. In the middle of the 13th century, a large square tower and southern aisle were built. The church was massively renovated throughout the 19th century.