A cross in the churchyard of the ruined church below Walton Castle
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
This partly dismantled cross lies in the graveyard of a ruined church below Walton Castle. The castle, erected in the place where an Iron Age earthwork previously stood, was built in c.1615-20 by the first Lord Poulett. The National Gazetteer of England and Wales for 1868 notes, "There are some remains of an old chapel belonging to the castle, with a piscina and cross."