A mansion near Lewisham
Artist: J. Jacobs
Lewisham has existed since the Saxon era. It was referred to as Levesham in the Domesday Book in 1086, with the following details of its constituents: "There is arable land for 14 ploughs. In demesne there are 2 ploughs and 50 villeins with 9 bordars have 17 ploughs. There are 3 slaves [serfs] and 11 mills. There are 30 acres of meadow and woodland for 50 hogs." The year before this image was made, the area was described in a guidebook as "a rural village on the banks of the Ravensbourne [River] ... only to be reached by a long coach ride". Because of its closeness to the river, Lewisham was a heavy milling area, specialising in leather and corn.