A View Toward Kensington Gardens, London, 1822
Artist: Scharf, Elizabeth
Medium: Pencil on paper
This atmospheric pencil drawing depicts Kensington Gardens in high summer.
Kensington Gardens was originally attached to Nottingham House, which was bought by William III in 1689 and turned into Kensington Palace. Queen Mary took a great interest in the gardens and had them landscaped by royal gardeners in formal Dutch patterns. Uprooted by order of Queen Anne at the beginning of the 18th century, the Dutch gardens were replaced in 1726 by Wise and Bridgeman's design, which included the round pond, the Broad Walk and the Temple Lodge.