An old building near Tavistock
Artist: Blore, Edward
Medium: Pencil and ink on paper
The castellated building depicted in this drawing is typical of the architecture found in the locality of Tavistock. Many of these houses were built with grey-green
Tavistock was a prosperous centre for the wool trade in the 14th and 15th centuries.
The Benedictine abbey, found at the centre of the town, was one of the wealthiest religious houses to be found in the South West. Much of the town was remodelled when the Russell family, Earls of Bedford, acquired the abbey following the Dissolution in 1540.