Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink on paper
The Bulstrode family had their seat on this site from the 11th century. In 1686 the notorious law lord "Hanging" Judge Jeffreys took over the land and built his house here. It then passed form his son-in-law to the Earl of Portland, whose sons and successors became the Dukes of Portland. The 300 ha. estate contained fine landscaped gardens.