Bearpark, South View
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
The name Bearpark is a corruption of the Priory's proper name, Beaurrepaire - meaning beautiful retreat. Built between 1244 and 1258, it was intended as a summer house for the Prior of Durham. It was attacked often in various skirmishes and was reduced to this state during the English Civil War (1642-1648).