Bristol, Mayor's Chapel
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
This chapel, attatched to the Hospital of St Mark, was founded in 1220 by two grandsons of Robert Fitzharding. Fitzharding established the Abbey of St Augustine in 1140 on the site where the cathedral now stands.
After the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 1530s, the chapel was bought by the Corporation of Bristol. In 1721 it became the official place of worship for the Mayor and his Council.