Buckden church and Bishop's palace
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
A north-west view in ink of Buckden church in Huntingdonshire (now Cambridgeshire) and the adjacent palace of the Bishop of Lincoln. The 11th-century Great North Road ran through the middle of Buckden, marking the mid-point between London and Lincoln. Along with the palace, the road made an otherwise unassuming country town into a stopping point for London gentry on their way out of the city.
The Bishop's palace, now called Buckden Towers, was a resting place and home to successive Bishops of Lincoln from the 12th Century to 1842. Many of them were involved in affairs of state as Chancellor or Keeper of the Great Seal. Five are buried in St Mary's church in the picture.
All that remains of the Bishops' moated palace is the tower, the inner gatehouse, part of the battlemented wall (which used to surround the inner court within the moat), and the outer gate and wall. Building began under Bishop Rotherham in the time of Richard III and was completed under Bishop Russell (whose coat of arms appears on the inner gatehouse) in 1480.