Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
This view shows the Priory Church of St Mary and St Martin, a rather austere example of early Norman architecture. Originally part of the Benedictine priory founded here in 1088 by the local Norman lord Roger de Builli, it was one of the earliest monasteries of its type in Nottinghamshire. Its layout reflected monastic buildings in Normandy, such as Bernay Abbey, and its mother house was originally St Catherine's abbey at Rouen. The large west tower is in the Gothic perpendicular style and gives no hint of the strong Norman interior.
The Gothic style (12th-16th centuries) is characterised by strong vertical lines, high vaulted ceilings, pointed window and door openings and buttressed walls. It falls between the Romanesque and Renaissance periods. Gothic Perpendicular (1375-1540) is further marked by the use of horizontal and perpendicular lines.