Blenheim Park, toward Rosamond's Well
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink on paper
Rosamund's Well is a square pond fed by a spring, situated to the west of the Grand Bridge. Blenheim had extensive gardens and Daniel Defoe who visited in 1720 reported of "gardens of 100 acres of ground" and huge offices and outbuildings on the estate. Capability Brown considerably changed the grounds during the period 1764-74 when he curvaceously landscaped the gardens creating a lake.
Queen Anne granted the Royal Manor of Woodstock to John Churchill, the first Duke of Marlborough, in gratitude for his defeat over the forces of Louis XIV at Blindheim (Blenheim) on the Danube in Germany in 1704. At her own expense she created the extensive grounds and opulent palace, which to this day remains the home of the current Duke of Marlborough.