Barker's chapel, Butt Lane, Deptford
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Barker’s Chapel was the popular 19th-century name given to this church, which was a physical extension of a Congregationalist meeting house in Deptford established in 1702. The name derives from John Theodore Barker, who was ordained Reverend of the chapel in 1785, and who retained the position until his death in 1833. The Reverend’s son, also called John Barker, was the headmaster of a widely respected school in nearby Union Street, as well as one of the foremost public speakers of his time on matters of science and astronomy.
Butt Lane changed its name to Deptford High Street in 1825. Historically a residential and agricultural area, its large houses were well adapted to the expansion of Victorian retailing.