Artist: Buckler, John Chessell
Medium: Pencil on paper
Beaupre House, or Castle as it was also known, was built in about 1300. The layout
consisited of several buildings around a central inner courtyard. In the 16th century it was taken over by the Bassett family who transformed the house into a luxurious Tudor home, entered by the finely carved porch seen on this drawing. By the end of the 17th century, the family's fortune had declined. When Buckler visited here in the first quarter of the 19th century, much of the house's former glory had already begun to fade and only a small part of it was occupied. Today the house stands mainly in ruins.