Bradley Manor, Newton Abbot
Artist: Blore, Edward
Medium: Pencil and ink on paper
This pencil drawing is of Bradley Manor, a small 15th century house made with roughcast limestone. The majority of the building was built by Richard Yarde in the 1420's; its gabled facade being complete by 1495. The manor has a fine perpendicular-style chapel, which is seen to the right in the drawing. The interior of the building remains largely medieval in plan and includes granite fireplaces and ornate carving. Hidden in the nearby woodland is the "Puritan Pit", a natural hollow used by non-conformists to escape from persecution whilst conducting secret meetings. Although the Yarde family sold the premises in 1750, it was later reclaimed and restored by a descendant in the 20th century.