Brereton Hall, near Congleton
Artist: Blore, Edward
Medium: Pencil on paper
This pencil drawing depicts the imposing west front of Brereton Hall near Sandbach in Cheshire.
Brereton is a fine Elizabethan mansion built in 1586 by Lord William Brereton, a founding member of the Royal Society. The house is architecturally significant in that it is an early example of a building made entirely of brick. The twin towers that can be seen in the drawing originally supported copper cupolas, which were later removed on account of their weight. The design of the house formed an 'E' plan, although the middle section was eventually lost due to a costly fire.