Brougham Castle f16
Artist: Blore, Edward
Medium: Pencil on paper
View of the gatehouse and great tower at Brougham Castle in Cumbria. The 12th century square tower complex was the first building in the quadrilateral enclosure, which now forms the castle. Brougham Castle was built in the during the reign of Henry II and added to from the late 13th century to early 14th century. It was owned by the Clifford family from the late 13th century until the death of Lady Anne Clifford, the Countess of Pembroke, in 1676. The countess had the castle restored in 1651-52, noting that it "had layen ruinous ever since about August 1617".
Brougham Castle lies to the north-west of a Roman fort at the crossing of the roads from Yorkshire and Lancashire. It was described around the time of this image as "a lofty pile, square, with square towers, slightly