Brampton Brian [Castle] Shropshire
Artist: Blore, Edward
Medium: Pencil on paper
View of the entrance to Brampton Bryan Castle in Herefordshire. Brampton Bryan Castle was located on an important route from Ludlow along the Teme Valley and into central Wales. This is the inner gatehouse, which was built c. 1309, either by Bryan de Brampton or his successor Robert Harley. The gatehouse has two arches with a portcullis between them. Above the lower arch is an early example of a type of decoration known as ballflower work (of a globular flower of three petals, enclosing a small ball) which is typical of the early 14th century. The castle held a parliamentary garrison during the Civil war, was besieged several times and was eventually burnt by the royalists.