Cloyster in Oransay Monastery
Artist: Miller, James
"Cloyster in Oransay Monastery", drawn by James Miller in 1775 after a journey in 1772 to the Hebridian Isles in Scotland. In the picture two men appearing to be measuring with a rope the height of the cloister walls. The cloisters are unusual, rather than round arches or gothic arched, they have v-shaped arches. The Abbey building, seen in ruin in this watercolour, was built in the 14th century by John MacDonald, Lord of the Isles, however the priory itself is thought to date from the 7th century when St Columba stayed here before moving on to the island of Iona to establish an Abbey there.