Carlton North, Methodist chapel
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
Extract from 'White's Directory of Nottinghamshire', 1853: "Kingston-in-Carlton, which is commonly called North Carlton, was anciently so called from being the King's manor, and Carlton-in-Lindrick, often called South Carlton, may be supposed to have the distinctive part of its name from the Saxon Lind or Linden. Here is a small Methodist chapel. The South Common Field, 2a 3r 36p, let for upwards of £6, belongs to the church. In 1831, Robert Ramsden Esq. erected three schools, and he now allows a salary to a master and mistress, who have under their care 350 children. He has also established a library for the use of the parishioners, which contains 1,640 volumes. The two hamlets support their poor and roads conjointly."