Click here to skip to content



Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus

Medium: Ink wash on paper

Date: 1775

Shelfmark: Additional MS 15543

Item number: f.164

Length: 188

Width: 267

Scale: Millimetres

Genre: Manuscript

The hamlet of Clipstone was the location of a castle often used by royal hunting parties during the 12th and 13th centuries. It was so frequently occupied by King John that even now the ruins bear the name King John’s Palace. The ruins can be seen in the distance in this picture.

Search within this collection

Elsewhere on our websites


Latest events - register free online