Cottages near Grove Street, Deptford, 1817
Artist: Jacobs, J
Grove Street was the entrance to the Royal Victoria Victualling Yard, the main manufacturing and provision store of the Royal Navy. Established in 1742, the yard only closed in 1961, at which point the Samuel Pepys Estate was granted some of the property. The area still contains a great many buildings from the 18th century, and Grove Street retains the gateway to the old yard, which is covered with images of ox skulls and anchors.