Church of St Nicholas, Deptford, interior f.37
There has been a church on this site since the Norman conquest, and parts of the present church date from the 14th century. Although it was substantially rebuilt in 1697, the work seems to have been badly executed, necessitating further renovation in 1740. In October 1940, incendiary bombs were dropped on the church by German planes, demolishing much of the interior seen in this image. It was restored under the Reverend Kenneth Francis in 1958. Woodcarving by celebrated London architect Grindling Gibbons can be seen in the reredos and chancel decoration. 17th-century playwrite Christopher Marlowe is buried in the church's cemetery.