Chester Cathedral f.68
Artist: Buckler, John Chessell
Medium: Pencil on paper
Chester Cathedral was originally a Benedictine monastery dedicated to St Werburgh, founded in 1092. Building of the current church began in about 1250 on top of the original Norman structure, which was dismantled from the inside as the new church grew up around it. Construction continued for the next 250 years, during which time the monastery prospered.
In 1539, not long after the church was completed, Henry VIII closed down all monastic institutions in his plan to establish the Church of England independently from Rome. The King, fortunately, did not ignore the splendour of the church here and in 1541, he granted it Cathedral status, creating the new Diocese of Chester.