Chester Cathedral f.69
Artist: Buckler, John Chessell
Medium: Pencil on paper
Chester Cathedral stands in the most complete medieval monastic compound in Britain. A church originally stood here in Saxon times and a Benedictine monastery was founded on this site in 1092. Chester has therefore been a centre of ecclesiastical importance for over a millennium. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539, Henry VIII recognised the spiritual and architectural value of the former Benedictine church and granted it Cathedral status in 1541, creating as he did so the new Diocese of Chester.
When the Benedictine monks started to erect the current church in about 1250, they built the new structure over the previous Norman church, dismantling it from the inside out as they went.