Chester Water Tower
Artist: Buckler, John Chessell
Medium: Pencil on paper
The founding of Chester, situated on the River Dee and one of the few towns still to be encircled by its medieval walls, dates back to 68 AD when the Roman XXth legion established a camp here. Over the centuries, the town grew in size and importance, due, in main, to its location on the river estuary. The town became a prosperous trading point and therefore a target for raiders and invaders.
This water tower was built in 1322. It not only held water in times of siege, it was also a perfect observation point to spot potential trouble-makers.