Artist: Buckler, John Chessell
Medium: Pencil on paper
The Church of St John dates back to the 12th century and was originally the chapel of ease to the Church of St Mary. In 1180, the parish of Cardiff was placed under the care of the recently founded Benedictine Tewksbury Abbey. St Mary's became a Priory and a chaplain was appointed to St John's as the parish population grew.
In 1404, the church suffered severe damage during the rebellion of Owain Glyndwr and only the south choir remained. The church was rebuilt during the latter half of the 15th century when the fine perpendicular nave and tower were added.