Castle Acre, Priory ruins
Artist: Blore, Edward
Medium: Pencil on paper
This fine pencil drawing depicts the western section of Castle Acre Priory.
Castle Acre is one of Britain"s finest surviving Cluniac buildings, founded by William de Warenne in 1090. The elaborate stone carving that can still be found on the priory's west front may help to explain why the Cluniacs were often criticised for being over-indulgent. Over time a number of scandals occurred at the site, suggesting that discipline was slack. The monastery remained intact until Henry VIII ordered the premises to be given over to the Duke of Norfolk in 1537. Although the main part of the priory is in a ruinous condition, the Prior"s lodgings are intact and impressive.