Durham, from the Road near Shincliffe
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
A distant view in ink of Durham taken from the road near Shincliffe, to the south of the city. The medieval village of Shincliffe belonged to the priors of Durham Cathedral Monastery. Shincliffe became a separate parish in 1827, having previously been part of the parish of St Oswald's in Durham.