Deptford Pier Hotel
After the closure of Deptford's Royal Dockyard in the early 19th century, vast tracts of land were left unemployed on the waterfront and in the environs of the old Church of St Nicholas. In 1839, an Act of Parliament was passed, establishing the Deptford Pier and Improvement Company. As laid out in the Act, the company's purpose was to "build a new town, consisting of wide streets, adapted for healthful residence or commercial occupation". This plan included hotels, which were to be "erected on a scale commensurate to the magnitude of the [entire] undertaking". This hotel on Deptford Pier was one such development - one of the few. The general industrial shift in Deptford from shipbuilding to manufacturing rendered much of the Act redundant in a short space of time, and few of the Company's plans were completed.