Discovering Antiquities At Castor, 1823
Artist: Scharf, George senior
Medium: Pencil on paper
This drawing depicts excavation work being carried out in the village of Castor, near Peterborough. Archaeologists can be seen examining fragments of vessels and other objects.
During the Roman period Castor adjoined Durobrivae, an important army camp that lay strategically positioned on the River Nene. It was a very industrious area during the second century, producing a course ceramic known as "Castor Ware".
The church of St Kyneburgha, seen at the centre of the drawing, was consecrated in 1124. It was named after the daughter of King Penda of Mercia, who founded a convent on the site in 650. The Norman style tower is unusually grand, comparable to that found at Tewkesbury Abbey.