Design for Crewe Hall, Cheshire f75
Artist: Blore, Edward
Medium: Pencil and ink on paper
This drawing depicts Crewe Hall seen from the surrounding grounds.
Although there are records of the site dating from 1170, the present building was erected by Sir Ranulph Crewe in the 1630's. The hall is Jacobean in style and has had numerous additions, particularly those made by the architect Edward Barry in the 19th century. Barry was commissioned to undertake rebuilding work at the hall after it was nearly destroyed by a disastrous fire in 1866. Edward Blore's drawing of the hall was executed before these events occurred, as a large tower, added by Barry at the time of reconstruction, cannot be seen in the picture. During the Second World War the property became a prison camp, detaining up to 2,000 German officers.