Eaton Hall, Cheshire f.107
Artist: Buckler, John Chessell
Medium: Pencil on paper
The Grosvenor family claim tenure of land in Cheshire since at least the 12th century. Eaton became their home in the 1440s when Raufe, son of Sir Thomas Grosvenor of Hulme, married Joan of Eton, heiress to the Eton (later to become Eaton) Estate. The baronetcy was granted to Sir Richard Grosvenor in 1622.
At the times when Buckler visited Eaton Hall, Robert Grosvenor (1767-1845, later to become 1st Marquis of Westminster) was extensively modernising the estate, which continued after his death into the 1870s. However, the drawings of the exterior assembled here show the original Elizabethan facade.