Exeter Cathedral and Palace, 1820
Medium: Pencil on paper
The Bishop's Palace dates from the rebuilding of the Cathedral itself at the end of the 13th century. In 1845, the Cathedral's commissioners rebuilt much of the Palace in the Neo-Tudor style which was fashionable at the time. Fortunately, the original 14th-century gatehouse, as seen on this drawing, was retained.
During Medieval times a prison stood on the west side of the Palace to detain nefarious clergy. Of these there were many, for nearly every diocese contained its own goal for those who had trespassed against Canonical Law. In 1389, six inmates escaped from the prison at Exeter, but not before murdering their jailor.