Ford Abbey, Devon, 1831 f.107
Medium: Pencil on paper
Ford Abbey was originally a Cistercian monastery before it was closed down by Henry VIII in 1539 when he established the Church of England. The house remained unoccupied for nearly a century. The Gwynne family purchased it in the 17th century and set about turning into a luxurious family seat. The exterior was left unchanged but the interior was modernised to reflect the Italian palazzo style, which was so fashionable at the time.