Godstow Abbey f.175
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink on paper
View of the ruins of Godstow Abbey, a former Benedictine nunnery founded in 1133. It was dissolved along with many other religious houses in 1539. Afterwards part of the building was used as a residence by Dr Owen, Henry VIII's physician. The abbey was fortified during the Civil War and then burnt down in 1645. Very little remains, as seen in the picture, except a walled enclosure with some domestic buildings.