Godstow Abbey, gate
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
The abbey was a former Benedictine nunnery founded in 1133. It was dissolved along with many other religious houses in 1539 by Henry VIII in his dismantling of the Catholic Church. Afterwards part of the building was used as a residence by Dr Owen, Henry VIII's physician. The abbey was fortified during the Civil War and then burnt down in 1645. Very little remains except a walled enclosure with some domestic buildings.