Godstow Abbey, chapel f.179
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink on paper
View of the interior of the Chapel at Godstow Priory, showing it in a dilapidated state. The abbey was a former Benedictine nunnery founded in 1133. It was dissolved along with many other religious houses in 1539. Afterwards part of the building was used as a residence by Dr Owen, Henry VIII's physician. The abbey was fortified during the Civil War and then burnt down in 1645. Very little remains except a walled enclosure with some domestic buildings.
The Dissolution of the Monasteries took place between 1536 and 1540 when King Henry VIII confiscated the property of the Catholic institutions so as to establish himself as the new head of the Church of England.