Greenwich Pier & Dreadnought Hospital Ship, c.1841
The Dreadnought Seaman's Hospital was established in 1821 by the Seamen's Hospital Society. This was one of a number of old men-o'-war used by the Society to treat sick sailors. These floating hospitals specialised in treating tropical diseases; establishing medical care on ships effectively meant the sailors were in quarantine and could not spread their diseases on the mainland. The Seaman's Hospital moved permanently to a building ashore in Greenwich in 1870, finally closing in 1986. The tropical diseases wing was moved to Euston in north London, and still survives.