Geoffrey''s Window at Monmouth Priory
Artist: Blore, Edward
Medium: Pencil on paper
This pencil drawing depicts "Geoffrey"s Window", a 15th century oriel window dedicated to Geoffrey of Monmouth, the celebrated Welsh scholar.
The Benedictine priory at Monmouth was founded by Guiethenauc, Earl of
Hereford, in 1071. Geoffrey of Monmouth was educated here in the early years of the 12th century. A brilliant scholar, Geoffrey was best known for writing a "History of the Kings of Britain" and translated "Stories of King Arthur" into English. Despite being threatened by rebellion and dissolution, the Priory has remained in superb condition.